59 Highpath Way – Basingstoke – Hampshire – RG24 9SU
Mob: 07595 744484 – Home: 01256 354868 – E-mail: Jon_at_JonnyPayne.com
Driving Licence: Full
Marital Status: Married
As a person, I am somewhere between “engineer” and “people person”.
I am driven to create and inspire.
I am able to visualise complex systems in my head accurately and swiftly; I can both communicate and deliver a solid, cost effective solution first time.
The people person in me enjoys interacting with, and leading teams to realise projects to their completion effectively, however complex they may be – while always mindful of commercial and logistical constraints.
I enjoy interaction with end clients to understand their vision, and design solutions which hit the sweet spot between value and functionality.
- Elected Board Member of KNX UK
- KNX Certified Engineer (11 years experience)
- BSc (Hons) Software Systems for the Arts and Media
- HND Computer Science (Software Engineering)
- Parish Councillor for Rooksdown (Basingstoke) for 7 years
April 2018 – Present
Engineering Manager – Union systems
- Responsible for design and delivery of complex systems across multiple packages, domains markets and technologies;
- Design and coordination of Fibre Integrated Reception Systems (FIRS), Crestron AV systems, KNX building controls (Heating / Cooling / Lighting and emergency testing) and high bandwidth redundant optical data network system design;
- Commercial and Residential approach
- Project Direction of large scale projects
- Team Leadership of engineering team
- Business Strategy influencer – finding the right technical approach to each market;
- Assistive advisory role to Sales team in a technical capacity – product selection and systems designs at tender stage;
- Industry networking and contact building.
October 2017 – April 2018
Chief Engineer – Hughes Electra
Responsible for design and delivery complex KNX based MDU projects both on site and from the desk;
- Team Leadership of site based team with multiple sub contractors;
- Technical advisory role for solution development;
- Problem solving and advanced Logic design and testing;
- Site commissioning / testing and thorough break testing of large scale MDU projects delivered wit ha total KNX solution featuring underfloor heating / lighting / air conditioning with door access integration and mobile app control.
May 2013 – October 2017
Business Development and Management – Entech South – Entech (Energy Technologies Ltd)
- Responsible for building southern division of a national KNX integration outfit from nothing to 6 operatives.
- Technical and Strategic direction of team of 6 covering the south of the UK.
- General Management
- Team Leadership
- Concept Guardian
- Industry Figurehead
- Project Direction
April 2012 – May 2013
Pre-Sales Manager – Tridonic UK Ltd
- Engaging with specifying Consultants (Arup, Atkins etc.) in a technical capacity.
- Controls Technical Specialist for the UK, offering advice and support to customers, OEMs and the Industry in general.
- Presenting to influential organisations (eg. CIBSE) to promote knowledge and understanding of correct practise / implementation.
- Strategic Partnership management (eg. Tridonic Schneider partnership) acting as both a key contact and strategy development.
- Business Strategy management with respect to Pre-Sales, Customers, Consultants and Clients to analyse markets, and promote and develop business within the UK and abroad.
January 2011 – April 2012
Project Manager – Ferrovial Agroman Limited
- Responsible for managing the design and construction process of Heathrow T2A Lighting package (Including luminaire supply, electrical, BMS monitoring, and lighting control).
- Liaising between M+E, BMS, LCS and Client to ensure delivery of a suitable, safe, high value product within the scheme requirements.
- Responsible for design and commercial processes, with 4 sub-contractors (Luminaire, M+E, BMS, LCS), incorporating change management.
- Key Progress Indicator reporting of ICS team (End Devices, BMS, LCS, Fire, and Cabling)
April 2006-December 2010
Project Manager – Andromeda Telematics Ltd
- Assigned as Project Manager for O2 Dublin, and Dublin Airport Terminal 2 (Total value in excess of 1.9 million Euros), reporting to the Project Director.
- Responsible for managing the project team (10 persons).
- Design management role incorporated within, to find technical solutions swiftly, and guide technical team.
- Author of “Dredge” automatic database creation tool (in VB.net) to automatically generate KNX databases.
- Author of Autocad database of device drawings to assist and speed drawing creation.
- Responsible for all documentation, drawings, costings, resource management, commercial, and logistics.
May 2005 – April 2006
Technical Sales Support – Dynalite Europe Ltd
2003 – Feb 2005
Quality Technician – Marlow Ropes – Hailsham, and Manchester
General Technician – Digital Video Computing
Computer Engineer, Electronics testing – ECS Lighting Controls Ltd
Personal and Work references available upon request